Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid
HOME | ASK QUESTION | ADD INFO | SEARCH | E-MAIL US
 

Home -> Community -> Usenet -> comp.databases.theory -> Re: Concurrency in an RDB

Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 02:49:01 GMT
Message-ID: <xIHih.506787$1T2.323507@pd7urf2no>


Bob Badour wrote:

> paul c wrote:
> 

>> paul c wrote:
>>
>>> David wrote:
>>>
>>>> paul c wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Marshall wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Dec 20, 3:13 pm, monaro..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Marshall wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> ..
>>>>>
>>>>>>> Is English your second language?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Wow, an insult in which you imply that I don't speak
>>>>>> English very well. Isn't *that* original, and oh so relevant?
>>>>>> ...
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hey Marshall, your anglais is satisfactaire. it's standard technique
>>>>> for newsgroup/"successful" hand-wavers to challenge an irrelevant
>>>>> aspect
>>>>> of the questioner's manner, ie., to try to change the subject.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I have an interest in carefully analysing why people say what they
>>>> say...
>>>>
>>>> Here are some possible motivations for why Dan posed that question...
>>>>
>>>> 1. Dan actually believes English is not Marshall's primary language,
>>>> and the question was to be taken literally
>>>>
>>>> 2. Dan believes Marshall can speak English well, but thinks some of
>>>> the NG readers are naive enough to read his question literally. This
>>>> is a ploy to help bolster his argument by attacking Marshall's
>>>> intelligence - perhaps because Dan thinks his argument isn't able to
>>>> stand up on its own.
>>>>
>>>> 3. Dan used it as a literary device, as both an insult and to
>>>> underscore what he regards as a discrepancy in Marshall's response.
>>>>
>>>> It seems to me that the third option is closest to the truth.
>>>>
>>>> You claim that the second option is in fact true. Do you stand by that
>>>> claim, or do you in fact agree with me that the third option is closest
>>>> and you are yourself using the analogous tactic that you "accuse" Dan
>>>> of?
>>>>
>>>> David
>>>
>>>
>>> You can claim that I claim whatever you want. Doesn't make it so.
>>> Here's a claim I admit - I claim that Christmas time is when lots of
>>> directionless people (ie., the majority who have no substantial
>>> inspiration on this topic or anything else) like to make lists of all
>>> sorts. Unfortunate side-effect of the 20th century's emphasis on
>>> universal so-called literacy. Suggest you send your list to the
>>> local so-called newspaper.
>>>
>>> Here, in any season, I would rather hear an opinion, even an uninformed
>>> one, on what it means to
>>> Cheers,
>>
>>
>> Let me re-ask that: what does it mean to project A from a relation
>> that has two attributes, one A of some specified/understood type and
>> the other B whose type is the same as the relation (A,B).
> 
> 
> It means the same as projecting A from a relation (A,B) where B is an 
> integer. In the projection, B and its data type are irrelevant.

I am guessing that one meaning you have in mind is that "it means the same as projecting from a relation (A,B) where B is an intgeger and (A,B) is an integer?

;p Received on Thu Dec 21 2006 - 20:49:01 CST

Original text of this message

HOME | ASK QUESTION | ADD INFO | SEARCH | E-MAIL US