Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: David <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: 21 Dec 2006 15:08:10 -0800

Marshall wrote:

> So he wrote a couple of apps. Woo hoo. And he's told us, in
> the most excruciatingly high level, handwavy manner possible,
> that they have this and that awesome property.

Your sarcasm doesn't do you credit.

> But he hasn't
> told us anything about specifics. The system "achieve[s] intention
> preservation, causality preservation and of course convergence
> at quiescence." Also, "remote edits are incorporated
> asynchronously after undergoing transformation."
> The actual details of how any of this is accomplished
> are somehow omitted.

... omitted because the basic ideas are covered in the literature. For example

"Achieving convergence, causality-preservation, and intention-preservation in real-time cooperative editing systems," C. Sun, X. Jia, Y. Zhang, Y. Yang, D. Chen.

As I've said before, the details about how OT works is not the subject of this thread. It is more about the repercussions of using OT in a DBMS. David Received on Thu Dec 21 2006 - 17:08:10 CST