Re: Databases as objects

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Dec 2006 10:23:09 -0800

> What I realized while trying to describe my preference to use DB procedures as the primary (re: only) interface between my applications and the database is because I believe my DB's physical representation of data belongs to it alone and that customers of the DB oughtn't be permitted to directly manipulate (change or query) its data.

Usually one prefers to use high-level interfaces. Below might be some reasons one utilizes a lower-level interface: 1) Impossible or impractical to do via high-level interface. 2) Lack of performance.

In general, I think you are correct in thinking of "database as one big object with all the rules for data hiding and interfaces OO [that] programmers are already acquainted with". Received on Thu Dec 21 2006 - 12:23:09 CST