Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2006 00:25:16 -0800

On Dec 19, 11:17 pm, "David" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
>
> > So, howsabout you give us an example? So far all we've heard
> > from you has been a description of properties of your proposed
> > solution. Please show me an example of doing something
> > modestly nifty with OT that might not hold up so well in
> > a distributed transaction setting.
>
> > Assume I'm already aware that network cards, switches,
> > and whole machines periodically misbehave. (Oh, how
> > I wish I was *less* aware of that.)
>
> Real time, interactive editing of replicated data is very well suited
> to OT.

This is nothing but more description; you have already supplied plenty of that. My interest is in an example.

I have two clients, C1 and C2. I have a table T in a distributed, replicated dbms. The table exists on both server S1 and S2. T has a constraint that "count(*) <= 1" and is currently empty.

C1 issues an insert into T of value (5). C2 issues an insert into T of value (7). S1 receives C1's insert first, and C2 receives S2's insert first. What happens? S1 does what? S2 does what?

An *example* please. Not a description. Not requirements, or praise, or claims about how transactions ought to be sized, or any of that stuff. An illustrative example.

Impress me.

Marshall Received on Wed Dec 20 2006 - 09:25:16 CET

Original text of this message