Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2006 18:21:59 -0800

On Dec 19, 5:36 pm, "David" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Fine-grained transactions are good until you use distributed
> transactions. That doesn't worry me because IMO distributed
> transactions are a poor approach that can and should be avoided most of
> the time. This is not the conventional viewpoint. That may change
> one day if Operational Transform proves to be useful for replicated
> databases.

So, howsabout you give us an example? So far all we've heard from you has been a description of properties of your proposed solution. Please show me an example of doing something modestly nifty with OT that might not hold up so well in a distributed transaction setting.

Assume I'm already aware that network cards, switches, and whole machines periodically misbehave. (Oh, how I wish I was *less* aware of that.)

Marshall Received on Tue Dec 19 2006 - 20:21:59 CST