Re: Hierarchal vs Non-Hierarchal Interfaces to Biological Taxonomy

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Dec 2006 19:58:11 -0800

> Can you parse this tree ... Human Cytogenetic Map:
> (HumanCytogeneticMap(1(1p(1p3(1p36...(Xq27.1,Xq27.2,Xq27.3)))),Y))

Ok, I have imported the above data into dbd with a hastily coded parser. Because the gene map data had lots of parentheses, just like dbd's interface language, I selected it first. The executable with the parser, a populated db, and the source map file are posted at www.dbfordummies.com/example/ex700.asp To find the gene named Xq27.3, type "(get Xq27.3)" in the input box and click the submit button. Or simply browse the tree by clicking nodes.

Some questions? How many of these sequences would a db need to store? Was the above sequence small/average/big in comparision to others? How large is the biggest sequence? Each gene seems to only have one parent. Is this always the case? Does each gene typcially have additional data associated with it? What are some basic operations on such gene maps? Received on Sat Dec 16 2006 - 04:58:11 CET

Original text of this message