Re: What Actually Causes Deadlock

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:54:14 -0000

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:1iygh.481770$1T2.240219_at_pd7urf2no...
> I suppose the intermittent re-discovery of old knowledge is inevitable as
> the trend to more and more specialization and componentization continues.

That may be, but the overwhelming majority of those kinds of problems that I see near-daily arise because the developers have zero education in the field at all. For example, I regularly provide remedial services to one of the Big Three consultancies in the UK. I've yet to meet one of their young new-hires with even a numerate science degree, never mind one in a computing-related discipline. They operate by cut-and-paste at first, then rote, then as their confidence grows, by reinventing various broken wheels.

I don't suppose it will ever be the sort of scandal that accounting malpractice has been in recent years, but I sometimes wonder if passing off energetic amateurs as "IT professionals" (billed out at staggering cost) isn't equally criminal.

Roy Received on Fri Dec 15 2006 - 08:54:14 CST