Re: What Actually Causes Deadlock

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:54:56 GMT

Roy Hann wrote:

> "paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message
>

>>I suppose the intermittent re-discovery of old knowledge is inevitable as
>>the trend to more and more specialization and componentization continues.

> That may be, but the overwhelming majority of those kinds of problems that I
> see near-daily arise because the developers have zero education in the field
> at all. For example, I regularly provide remedial services to one of the
> Big Three consultancies in the UK. I've yet to meet one of their young
> new-hires with even a numerate science degree, never mind one in a
> computing-related discipline. They operate by cut-and-paste at first, then
> rote, then as their confidence grows, by reinventing various broken wheels.
>
> I don't suppose it will ever be the sort of scandal that accounting
> malpractice has been in recent years, but I sometimes wonder if passing off
> energetic amateurs as "IT professionals" (billed out at staggering cost)
> isn't equally criminal.

I was once introduced to an individual who was purportedly the 'senior technical guy' at a consulting practice. He had many years of experience, and he was very fond of 'researching solutions', which meant spending two weeks identifying API's I could locate myself in less than 5 minutes.

More than a year after the introduction, I taught him how to nest one loop inside another.

While one occasionally meets a competent, conscientious consultant, 99.99% are disgusting parasites, and I have watched more than one kill the host. The consulting industry is rotten to the core with fraud and malpractice, which are criminal; however, ending the crimes first requires the political will to gather the evidence and to hold the criminals accountable. Received on Fri Dec 15 2006 - 16:54:56 CET

Original text of this message