Re: Hierarchal vs Non-Hierarchal Interfaces to Biological Taxonomy

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 14 Dec 2006 19:12:38 -0800

Neo wrote:
> Larry Coon wrote:
> > I'd start looking at the Tree of Life Project:
> > http://tolweb.org/tree/
>
> Thanks, I had briefly visited this site earlier, but
> dismissed it as the trees diagrams are graphical instead
> of textual, thus preventing me from easily gathering the
> data.

Then forget about taxonomy and jump onto the HOT! HOT! gene wagon. Go here:

  http://www.geneontology.org/

and download the ontology flat files (or better yet the HOT! HOT! XML!). Spend a few months playing with all that network (as in edges and nodes, ie a graph) data and who knows? You might be able to contribute neo DB software to the project.

And they already have a mySQL file so when it comes time to compare your queries to SQL or similar, the data is already formatted for you.

Have fun!

Keith -- Fraud 6 Received on Fri Dec 15 2006 - 04:12:38 CET

Original text of this message