Re: Generalised approach to storing address details

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Dec 2006 10:17:22 -0800

> I have programmed BOM applications, and at the time I used a proprietary
> network model dbms. That experience largely influenced my opinion of the
> network model.

In a true network model, anything should be relatable to anything systematically. The human mind probably implement a type of true network model. Dbd implements a type of true network model based directly on set theory. The CODASYL-type network models are mostly misnomers. They are much closer to the Relational Model than true network models. For a relational-type model to be called a network model, it should allow relationships between all its modelling elements such as relations, tuples, attributes, values and atomic parts of values down to symbols.

> BOM's are not hierarchies, BTW. The general BOM is a DAG.

What is your definition of a hierarchy?
Why aren't general BOM's considered hierarchies? What is a DAG? Received on Thu Dec 14 2006 - 19:17:22 CET

Original text of this message