Re: how to build a database from scratch

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 01:41:54 GMT

DBMS_Plumber wrote:
> paul c wrote:
>

>>DBMS_Plumber wrote:
>>
>>>   How can you NOT talk about physical things - data stuctures,
>>>algorithms, bits, bytes etc - and still have anything relevant to say
>>>about "how to implement a DBMS"?
>>>

>>It's easy with practice, you must try it.  With enough effort it will
>>make things much simpler for you (which is the sensible goal, even if
>>most marketing types don't know how to make a profit by selling simpler).

> We have now passed through the realm of utter rubbish and into the
> realm of pure gibberish.
>
> Describe a B-Tree in language other than the language of data
> structures, algorithms, and procedural code. Describe its theoretical
> properties in terms other than those of complexity theory. We are not
> talking about how to implement 'a database' - but how to implement a
> bloody Database MANAGEMENT SYSTEM - to wit, a tool for implementing
> databases with.

The topic continues to change, without much explanation! The Btree idea, although initiated by physical concerns, is in fact a logical construction.

Alright, since you seem to want to insist, I'll echo your messages and throw some verbiage at you - It's a two-way street you know, you must offer some information like some of the deep thinkers here who I regularly profit from, in return for your challenges, rather than demanding that your premises be accepted as fact.

I'm starting to think with your references to historical practice that maybe you have not noticed that this is a theory group. Perhaps you could check the handle you are responding to? (EG., are you sending messages to me or to this group? If the former, you can figure out my handle if you reverse the letters in the domain name. I think the regulars I've seen messages from here aren't accustomed to this to and fro'.)

p Received on Sat Dec 09 2006 - 02:41:54 CET

Original text of this message