Re: Generalised approach to storing address details

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:36:04 +0000

In message <1165470808.701320.264240_at_79g2000cws.googlegroups.com>, Frank Millman <frank_at_chagford.com> writes
>Hi all
>
>This is really a database design question. I am not sure if this is the
>correct forum. If not, please can someone recommend a more appropriate
>one.
>
>I want to set up a generic way of entering names and address details.
>Address details could be a multi-line address, a telephone number, an
>email address, or whatever communication medium may arise in the
>future.

A few questions for you:

Are you expecting to use this for international addresses? Note that different countries expect postal address fields in different orders.

Have you looked at existing systems, LDAP etc?

--
Bernard Peek
back in search of cognoscenti