Re: how to build a database from scratch

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 22:33:58 GMT

ctx2002_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Neo wrote:
>

>>>any books talks about how to build a database from scratch. any one know this kind of book even exists?
>>
>>What kind of db do you want to build? In particular, what kind of data
>>should the db be able to represent? What types of applications is the
>>db for? Do you want to program it in a low-level language like assembly
>>or high-level like C, C++ or C# ? Is this for experimental,
>>educational, academic or commercial purpose?

> just from my personaly curiosity. since i am a computer programmer
> that working with DB system every day (mysql , postgres).
>
> i have not theory background on DB systems, just want to know internal
> of DB systems.
>
> i have checked http://infolab.stanford.edu/~ullman/dscbsols/sols.html ,
> looks realy good from table content. any one actully own that book? if
> so, is that book include source code for a DB systems? i am not mean
> ER-digram, or data modling sql statements.
>
> i have leart built a toy compiler by myself with some great books, so
> now i can actully read real world compiler source code (php) and
> modifiy it. that help me a lot.
>
> what i need is books teching me basic stuff, like those compiler books
> did for me. then i can start understanding source code of real DB
> systems (mysql , postgres).
>
> regards,
>
> anru

While I cannot claim to have read the above book, it is the only undergraduate text in dbms implementation I have ever run across. If by any chance you learned about compilers using The Dragon Book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_book), I suggest you compare the author lists.

I have read The Dragon Book a couple times, and it was an excellent text on compilers. (Some would say THE text on compilers.)

P.S. You can safely ignore Neo. He is one of the newsgroup's pet cranks. Received on Fri Dec 01 2006 - 23:33:58 CET

Original text of this message