Re: vehicle to autoparts relationships

From: Jeff Smeker <rationalrepairs_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Dec 2006 12:45:03 -0800

-CELKO- wrote:
> >> All things are parts (cars, sections, parts) <<
> Yes
>
> >> Any part can be a parent <<
> No, some parts are atomic

I assume this means it is just a single part, with no children. If so, I didn't mean that every part HAD to be a parent, just that any part COULD be. From a DB structure point of view.

> >> Any part can be a child <<
> No; there is a final assembly

Again, a part does not HAVE to be a child, but any part COULD be.

> >> Every part can have supplier information (i.e. multiple suppliers,different supplier part
> numbers) <<
> Yes, but the intermediate assemblies are supplied by us from atomic
> parts.

Once again, this is fine. The part does not require supplier info, but could, if needed.

I must be confused, I thought, per the OP:

>I have a challenge, to figure out what part of the vehicle to relate parts to.<

Well, the structure I presented does just that. Received on Fri Dec 01 2006 - 21:45:03 CET

Original text of this message