Re: vehicle to autoparts relationships

From: javelin <google.1.jvmail_at_spamgourmet.com>
Date: 27 Nov 2006 20:29:17 -0800

OK, please STOP THE PRESSES! Well, let me restart this and say, thanks for all the great responses. Unfortunately, I apparently screwed up by mentioning parts of different "parts" of the vehicle. I meant different "sections" of the vehicle, like the transmission, engine, exhaust system, etc.

I do understand hierarchical table and application design (although I don't know if I can spell it correctly).

Neo's example helps clarify a bit. In the example below, the starter1 and gear1 parts apply to different vehicles, which is easy to manage via an XRef table. My concern is associating the part to the different vehicle sections. In the example below, the starter1 (or 2 or 3, etc) should relate to the engine. Thus, do I have to identify this in a table, or manage it strictly via the program? The same applies to the transmission section, to which the "gear1" part is related. How do I say that the current user selection pertains to engines, transmissions, etc, and only show related parts, or even limit entry to appropriate parts???

Thanks again.

EXAMPLE:
CivicLE
  EngineCfg1