Re: A new approach to storing ordered hierarchical data in RDBs.

From: Lennart <Erik.Lennart.Jonsson_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2006 11:43:10 -0800

goran wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've discovered a new approach to storing ordered hierarchical data in
> RDBs. As far as I know there is no similar model out there and it
> differs significantly from traditional models (such as adjacency list,
> materialized path or the nested sets approach). A brief article
> describing the model (with accompanying sql code) can be found at
> http://orangebeta.blogspot.com/2006/11/on-storing-ordered-hierarchies-in-sql.html

To me it looks a bit overkill to store both the nodedepth, nodeorder and transitive closure (your lineage table), and I assume it will make it much more difficult to maintain these during modification of the tree. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to read your next article on the subject.

/Lennart Received on Tue Nov 21 2006 - 20:43:10 CET

Original text of this message