Re: what tools/procedures can be used for developping databases?

From: Bram Mertens <bram-mertens_at_linux.be>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:43:24 GMT

jlfoster wrote:

> "Bram Mertens" <bram-mertens_at_linux.be> wrote in message <news:qX27h.188153$Tb4.2969665_at_phobos.telenet-ops.be>...
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I am looking for documentation and best practices to develop a database and support it.
>>
>> This tool and/or set of procedures should be able to:
>> * generate SQL statements to upgrade one version of a database _safely_ to another
>> * generate SQL statements to create an empty database (or containing minimal configuration data) for a specific version
>> * prevent performing "database patches" in an incorrect order or multiple execution of a specific patch
>> * determine quickly the version of a given database
>>
>> Looking at how these things are done by various FLOSS projects didn't help me much as most of them appear to ignore these problems
>> and simply provide SQL scripts that perform changes to the database structure without verifying if the database is in a valid
>> state before or after.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> "Best practices" and "SQL" do not belong in the same document.

Would you care to elaborate on that please?

Are you implying that there is no good way to support multiple versions of a database (or data model)?

How do you generate SQL "patches" and what procedures do you follow when

        applying them to a database?

Thanks in advance.

Bram Received on Fri Nov 17 2006 - 08:43:24 CET

Original text of this message