Re: anyone who know some good SQL interview questions?

From: BobTheDataBaseBoy <"xxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 20:51:19 -0500

Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:

>> Quoth Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>:

>>> If you actually learn the material, it won't matter what questions
>>> they ask you.
>> If you had some good questions, that could be handy.  Some of us have
>> involvement with trying to *hire* would-be DBAs...

> Here are 2:
>
> 1. How do you do hierarchical query query. (Being asked this back in
> 1997 @yahoo. Also heard somebody else asked it as well).

best answer so far (I'll attribute to Joe Celko, AFAIK): "there are more hierarchies in systems than there are in the real world". we're talking about Relational databases. such a question is like asking a neurosurgeon how to swap out a camshaft on a '68 Goat.

> 2. Name various aggregate string concatenation methods. Not all of them
> are created equal from performance perspective, of course. The most
> efficient solutions are the one with user-defined aggregation and the
> other one leveraging collect function. Don't hastily dismiss the
> rest, however. If nothing else, the problem of writing a list aggregate
> is still a great job interview question. You can rate someone's SQL
> skills (on the scale 0 to 6) by the number of different approaches that
> she can count.

hardly what one needs to know. Received on Tue Nov 07 2006 - 19:51:19 CST