Re: Basic question?What 's the key if there 's no FD(Functional Dependencies)?

From: Aloha Kakuikanu <aloha.kakuikanu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2006 10:20:10 -0800

paul c wrote:
> Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:
> > NENASHI, Tegiri wrote:
> >> The categorical sketches to use for universal view updatability:
> >>
> >> Michael Johnson and Robert Rosebrugh.
> >> Universal view updatability
> >
> > They claim to solve view updatability? OK, I have a table RealPeople
> > with one attribute Name and the view
> >
> > CDTPosters =
> > RealPeople
> > union
> > {(name=TeGiriNeNashi)}
> >
> > and a constraint
> >
> > RealPeople
> > intersect
> > {(name=TeGiriNeNashi)}
> > =
> > {}
> >
> > Is the CDTPosters view updatable?

> I like that example, but can you come up with one that doesn't involve a
> constraint? (I think constraints muddy the waters and at worst confuse
> us with un-related questions.)

I cannot get rid of the constraint completely, but can rewrite the problem to make it look "smaller":

select name, 'U' as typ from (
  select name from RealPeople
  union
  select 'TeGiriNeNashi'
)
union
select name, 'I' as typ from (
  select name from RealPeople
  intersect
  select 'TeGiriNeNashi'
)

check typ = 'U' Received on Tue Nov 07 2006 - 19:20:10 CET

Original text of this message