Re: Bob needs a new catchphrase

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_dbms.yuc>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 04:01:34 GMT

Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> What gets me is how could people think that
> <quantity>6</quantity>
> and the like are anywhere near sane.

Apart from that, why enforce hierarchy (not really my question, many others asked it first), a very discredited approach. But those two effects were enough for me to want to write xml off, as all the touted advantages I read of had to either with programmability using self-styled OO languages or readability. So from the start, I assumed both so-called advantages (free of context and capable of database importance at the same time) were not real, just some kind of in-joke. The noise about xml that persists almost ten years later makes we wonder if there was a deep fundamental point about that I've been missing all this time. My personal, perhaps wrong theory is the authors were hackers of the most deprecated kind, the ones who take a very narrow view and try to magnify it into a global context. I'm sure they had some inspiration and I don't want to disparage that as it is one of our most rare and important abilities to have but it is nothing without discipline.

p Received on Tue Oct 31 2006 - 05:01:34 CET

Original text of this message