Re: SQL For Smarties 3rd Edition - ATTN Joe Celko

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_dbms.yuc>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 01:12:35 GMT

-CELKO- wrote:
> What makes this funny to me is that I have been blasted for almost 20
> years for applying TOO MUCH theory in my work. ...

You confuse, I suspect deliberately, your own credibility with the work people think they are paying you to do, not for the first time. What your readers or customers think, if any of them do, says more about them than you, so it is bogus to keep trumpeting your homilies about industry practice as if numerical superiority beats logical superiority. I've met lots like you who say "people pay me to do it this way" or "most people do it this way" or resorting to dubious authority such as the autocratic bodies who make up so-called standards. It's a natural but sneaky technique, hiding in the crowd. So typical of your stance to switch horses and claim that you are a theorist - after seeing your comments and books for many years (I have to give mealy-mouthed thanks to the public libraries for this since they seem to carry your stuff in preference to that of the deep thinkers in the field), I've concluded that you have nothing of the sort to offer. I don't doubt that you work hard at hacking the un-designed aspects of various products, because doing that is hard work as I know too well, but I wish you would stop insulting people here by claiming what you do has anything to do with theory.

The most successful, profit-wise, accountant I ever met started with one client, a restaurant. He built his business on the owner's recommendations after telling him that his cost of sales was right on the average of all his restaurant customers. That reminds me of your game.

Your messages here don't carry any substance other than "here's a neat trick in this product" or "Codd said such-and-such". Why don't you go away and start your own "comp.datases.practice" newsgroup. There is much left do in the area of theory and you are wasting a lot of people's time here, even if many of them don't know it.

The real theorists here don't waste our time by repeating their false credentials over and over.

p Received on Tue Oct 31 2006 - 02:12:35 CET

Original text of this message