SQL For Smarties 3rd Edition - ATTN Joe Celko

From: Chris Howarth <mail_at_chrishowarth.co.uk>
Date: 28 Oct 2006 07:01:21 -0700

Hi there

This message is for Joe Celko - I thought this might be the best way to get in touch.

I've just started reading 'SQL For Smarties - 3rd Edition', so far an excellent book, and noticed a few minor errors on page 73 in section 2.5. Apologies if these errors have been highlighted before - I have searched Usenet for previous reports but could find any.

Under the 'Enrollment' heading near the top of the page it looks like the middle column should be named 'course_code' rather than 'course_name'.

The paragraph that follows the Enrollment table's contents contains two, in my opinion, erroneous references to 'course_name'.

I think the corrected text should read:

"...the above table is the combination of (student_id, course_code)."

and

"...values of both course_code and course_name tend to be repeated..."

Also the Subjects and Enrollment tables' definitions further down the page reference 'course_name' - I think the corrected text should read:

Subjects table: "(course_code CHAR(6) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,"

and

Enrollment table: "course_code CHAR(6) NOT NULL,"

Please accept my apologies if these errors have been higlighted previously. I thought I'd point them out so that corrections can be made before the fourth edition is printed.

Thanks
Chris Received on Sat Oct 28 2006 - 16:01:21 CEST

Original text of this message