Re: Modeling Data for XML instead of SQL-DBMS

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:46:23 GMT

dawn wrote:
> mAsterdam wrote:
>

>><Annotations>
>>
>>dawn wrote:
>>
>>>If working on a software project where all data are persisted
>>
>>/persisted/
>>
>>Ah, we are talking software development on an island, not
>>about shared data.

> Sure, we could assume that if it helps.
>

>>>in XML
>>
>>Ah, we are talking about documents, not about data.

> Yes, data, but data stored in documents, aka files, not employing a
> DBMS.
>

>>>documents and not in an SQL-DBMS, the tools would not require that the
>>>data model be in 1NF or the use of the SQL NULL.
>>
>>/data model/
>>?? document model!

> No, it is the data model that is of interest to me, while the use of
> the XML document for storage happens to be an implementation where
> perhaps I can get the question across. My interest here is to figure
> out what information is out there in the way of best practices for data
> modeling outside of the SQL-DBMS environment.

Let's cover the easy questions first: what are you going to store the XML documents in? Is there any need to know what's in which document? Can they be randomly named? Are users expected to examine every XML document to find the document they need? Received on Fri Oct 27 2006 - 02:46:23 CEST

Original text of this message