Re: Modeling Data for XML instead of SQL-DBMS

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:42:40 +0200

David Cressey wrote:

> I'm going to suggest that there are at least two conflicting definitions of
> "logical data model" in use in the newsgroup, regardless of what the
> glossary says. One of the definitions might be called "preliminary design".
> The other might be called "programmer visible implementation."

To me, to 'preliminary design' is sketchy, while 'logical data model' carries a connotation of completeness and detail. But I'm sure you are aware that if you provide helpful copy & pastable definitions I'd be happy to include them in the glossary, even if I do not completely agree.

> Note that,
> in the case of design choices that are invisible to the programmer, it
> doesn't matter why they are invisible.

Yes. You mean things like indexes, partitions, pinning, right?

> Here's the way I learned the terms, back in 1984 (no pun intended).
>
> conceptual data model (CDM): Driven by requirements. results from data
> anlysis. |data model independent. Example: er modeling.
>
> logical data model (LDM): design model, cannot be changed without (in some
> situations) requiring (some) application code rewrite.

I have never seen (or don't remember) this criterion, but it sounds healthy.

> result of preliminary design, driven by conceptual model, plus some
> indication of how the data is to be used. Data model dependent, DBMS
> independent, with a class of DBMSes that are all based on the same data
> model. Exapmple: relational data model.

The use of 'data model' in this sense may be confusing (when not explicitly stated).

--
"The person who says it cannot be done
should not interrupt the person doing it."