Re: Mapping arbitrary number of attributes to DB

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:31:13 GMT

Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> On 2006-10-25, Bob Badour wrote:
>

>> You are begging the question.

> I believe the problem is the cost of up front modeling.

As I stated clearly, you were begging the question. You invented an up front modelling cost that doesn't necessarily even exist and then alerted us to this 'problem'.

How is this circular?

You assumed a non-existent large up-front 'modelling cost' to prove a large up-front 'modelling cost'.

>> A dbms will allow one to dump each file into a relation that directly
>> reflects the structure of the file. That doesn't cost a whole lot in
>> terms of designing, and it does accomplish exactly what you describe
>> above.

> Correct, but how precisely is that better than EAV?

In every way imaginable. Received on Thu Oct 26 2006 - 16:31:13 CEST

Original text of this message