Re: Mapping arbitrary number of attributes to DB

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:28:56 +0100

"Joshua J. Kugler" <joshua_at_eeinternet.com> wrote in message news:453d522f$0$19658$88260bb3_at_free.teranews.com...
> I admit, I'm working with a problem that is *very* database unfriendly. I
> guess I'll see what I can read and come up with.

Actually your problem is not at all database unfriendly. Almost any product you can buy today that calls itself a DBMS can handle the problem with a few keystrokes or mouse clicks. What you have there is a programming problem.

Because it takes so much time and effort to make even trivial changes to the programs that will manipulate your database you are hoping to find a database design that will allow you to write a one-size-fits-all program.

I don't have a programming solution to your programming problem (well I kinda do, but I am under no illusion that anyone would want to use it). But as long as you hope for a database solution to a programming problem you are going to be dissatisfied with the result.

Roy Received on Tue Oct 24 2006 - 08:28:56 CEST

Original text of this message