Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Oct 2006 10:04:15 -0700

David Cressey wrote:

> Insults traded between people who have learned different definitions convey
> nearly no useful information, and should be omitted from the discussion.

Yes, definitely. This has often become an ill-mannered ng, with far too many insults (and they are not even clever ones).

You brought in NT Greek, so I'll toss in that there are several regular contributors who remind me of the extreme religious right (that I contend with) who _know_ the truth, so any perspective you have that is different is just plain wrong to them, not a perspective from which they could learn anything. The extreme religious right at least (typically) leave out terms like "idiot" "stupid" "moron" etc, so I am appreciating their civil discourse more now than before I was so aware of this type of online behavior.

In the case of this particular thread, Cimode seems to have an accurate mathematical definition of "value" while, as with other terms, the data-related computing community, from which Brian's comments seem to come, has different uses of the term, even if they originated in the mathematical definition. We might want to add the two differing definitions to the cdt glossary.

Cheers! --dawn Received on Mon Oct 23 2006 - 19:04:15 CEST

Original text of this message