Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Oct 2006 02:35:47 -0700

Christopher Browne wrote:

> In abstract algebra, you get groups and other structures where 2 may
> be a meaningful value, but 2.0 isn't, because there isn't any inherent
> notion of fractional values. Indeed, in the realm of discrete
> mathematics, it's unmeaningful (even undesirable!) to have any values
> lying between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3.
Correct.

> Proof by induction, for instance, depends on the notion that there are
> no intermediate values.
>
> I don't think that "elemntary school" concepts are of any particular
> relevance when looking at mathematical structures; they are what they
> are, irrespective of whether a layman can relate them to anything that
> seems familiar to the layman.
Depends which *elementary school* we refer to... For having tasted several educational systems including wFrench, American and Russian, I have found out there highschool level of math in Europe is higher than University level in US. First and Second year of university in math in France is comparable to PHD level in US. So I agree, basing deductive reasonning on level of education won't help very much.

Regards... Received on Sun Oct 22 2006 - 11:35:47 CEST

Original text of this message