Re: Mapping arbitrary number of attributes to DB

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2006 14:17:21 -0700

Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
<<Here it is: the application is going to be importing data from files that
contain sensor readings. These files can have an arbitrary number of columns, anywhere from maybe three or four all the way up to 200+ depending>>
No need to go any further to tell you this is the wrong direction
> Other ideas on how to accomplish storing this kind of data?
> Resources/reading to which you can point me? Other tips?
I am afraid, no *tips* can really help ...There are rules based on applied science to implement if you want to do a clean design.

  1. Conceptual design
  2. Logical Design:full normalization
  3. Physical Design of logical designfrom http://www.teranews.com

For more info

Practical Issues in Data Management (F. PASCAL) Introduction to Database Theory (CJ DATE 8th edition)

Hope this helps... Received on Sat Oct 21 2006 - 23:17:21 CEST

Original text of this message