Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Oct 2006 08:08:00 -0700

Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> "Jan Hidders" <hidders_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >As far as I can see his worst crime is that he overestimates his
> >expertise in certain areas and is somewhat reluctant in admitting that
> >other points of view might also be valid. Certain newsgroups would
> >become very empty if you would remove all participants with that
> >attitude. ;-)
>
> True, but that sounds like a good idea.
>
> I really do try to learn from this newsgroup, but with the level
> of at least plausible noise, it can be very difficult to figure things
> out. I am all for a quieter better-informed newsgroup.

Better informed on what relevant information, Gene?

Semiotics? OOP? Business applicaton software development? Set theory? Predicate Logic? Graph Theory? Data visualization? Data warehousing? OLAP? Statistical analysis? Data mining? Data modeling? SQL? XML? UML? ORM? Specific existing DBMS products? Writing DBMS products and tools? Computer languages. Existing very large databases? Database performance? Scientific computing? History of databases and database theory? Linguistics? Business rules? Data quality? Various query languages? Type theory? ...

You could start a more narrowly defined ng for whichever thread is of the most interest to you, but I, for one, like the varied knowledge and backgrounds represented. Some who you think lack knowledge, might be very well-informed in areas that are not of particular interest to you.  It is easy enough to ignore those from whom you think you have nothing to learn.

I would, however, prefer a lot less of the name-calling as there are some who contribute to it often not being a pleasant or classy group, which is a shame.

Cheers! --dawn Received on Fri Oct 20 2006 - 17:08:00 CEST

Original text of this message