Re: Efficient way of global concurrency control/serializability in federated databases??

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11 Oct 2006 02:24:25 -0700

Marshall wrote:
> On Oct 9, 1:40 pm, "Jan Hidders" <hidd..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > anonym wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > > I am preparing an analysis report and need some help.
> > > Currently, what is the most efficient / most used way of ensuring
> > > global concurrency control / serializability in federated
> > > databases/multidatabases ??http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-phase-commit_protocol
>
> Word on the street is that the world is giving up on two phase commit.

Well, I would say that is a bit of an exaggeration, in the same sense that "XML databases are going to replace relational databases" is a bit of an exaggeration. :-)

> Although I'm not sure I agree, I can see some of the motivations.
> The thing that bothers me, though, is that any potential replacements
> are necessarily application-specific, and can't be handled in a
> fully automatic way.

It's not a replacement. We are facing new types of problems that require new types of solutions under new sets of assumptions such as that for certain operations there are other operations that "undo" them.

> Any good papers to read about alternatives to 2PC?

Hmm, sorry, not of the top of my head.

  • Jan Hidders