Re: approaches for embedding a data language in a general purpose language

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:18:19 GMT

Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:
> Marshall wrote:

>> Anyone have any opinions, pro or con, about embedded SQL?

> OK, compare
>
> #sql { INSERT
> INTO person
> VALUES ('999999999', 'Doug Barry');
> };
>
> with
>
> Statement stmt = conn.createStatement();
> stmt.execute("INSERT
> INTO person
> VALUES ('999999999', 'Doug Barry')");
>
> Do you see much difference? I don't.

or if tersely expressed ...

     #SQL INS person &Value1 &Value2 #

Pro - allows a parser to translate from the generic form to any vendor dialect automagically, but

Con - encourages developers to fragment business logic throughout the various system layers rather than my preference of keeping as much as possible as deep as possible. ie. stored procs over embedded dynamic assembly if possible.

Cheers, Frank. Received on Wed Oct 11 2006 - 08:18:19 CEST

Original text of this message