Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Oct 2006 16:30:09 -0700

JOG wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2:56 pm, "dawn" <dawnwolth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > J M Davitt wrote:

> > > Partly (i) NULL is already overusedI am using it only one of the ways it is used, unless I qualify it as
> > "SQL NULL" which is quite different from most other uses of NULL within
> > the s/w development profession.
> >
> > > and (ii) the language
> > > used on this thread is imprecise.All language is imprecise. We always make assumptions about what the
> > other person be able to intrepret as it is intended. When there are
> > differences of opinion, then it is helpful to increase precision in the
> > definitions.
> >
> > > For instance, the reference to "relation tuple" in the
> > > above paragraph: is she distinguishing between tuples
> > > in relations and tuples otherwise? I was responding to JOG's statement
> > > "A relation tuple with a NULL in it is no relation tuple at all. From a mathematical perspective,
> > > case closed. "So I used the same language.
> >
> > > What, exactly, does
> > > "valid mathematically" have to do with her point?
> >
> > [I realize I'm arguing against a point not explicitly made.] I was responding to JOG:
> > > "A relation tuple with a NULL in it is no relation tuple at all. From a mathematical
> > > perspective, case closed. "
> > indicating that the this depends on the def of NULL. The case is
> > closed from a mathematical perspective on an SQL NULL (which, I think,
> > was JOG's point), but because he did not qualify or define the NULL, I
> > wanted to be clear that the case is not closed on the use of NULL with
> > databases, in general. That depends on the def of NULL.

> Yes, an SQL null of course. Thanks for the clarification - although I'm
> not sure it was strictly necessary, and that /perhaps/ it's generated a
> wee bit of unnecessary noise in this thread.

In retrospect, agreed. Perhaps one more person has a clue that the SQL NULL is not the only nor the original NULL, for what it is worth. Hopefully this will be more relevant in the dbms world again soon (over the coming decade?) Although there isn't agreement, there does seem to be momentum from many places to head (back to) 2VL with DBMS's. Knock on wood. The installed base is obviously a huge obstacle. --dawn Received on Tue Oct 10 2006 - 01:30:09 CEST

Original text of this message