Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:15:12 GMT

"David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org> wrote in message news:1160133403.293728.245040_at_m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

> I have not dismissed nulls arbitrarily. There are good reasons to
> reject SQL's definition of a null. I'm still waiting for your
> definition. Apparently you don't have one for numerics so dare I ask if
> you have one for boolean? Do you have a null for a graphics image type
> or a date type or a cartesian co-ordinate? How does your null behave
> under the operators for those types? I think you have your work cut out
> here...

I don't know what Brian's going to say, but I'll give you my definition.

A null is a marker indicating the absence of a value, in a place where a value might normally have been expected.

A null is not a value. A null has no type. And to borrow Roy's phrase, "make of it what you will." Received on Fri Oct 06 2006 - 16:15:12 CEST

Original text of this message