Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 6 Oct 2006 05:07:02 -0700

Brian Selzer wrote:
> "JOG" <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > Brian Selzer wrote:
> >> "JOG" <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message
> >> >

> >> Is the empty set a value? Yes, it is. So why can't a null be?
> >
> > Because an empty set is a value and a NULL is not.
> >

> Why not?

Because that is how it is defined. This is not an opinion it is a fact.

"The person with id:1 has NAME:Brian and has AGE:NULL" ...is not a proposition. It is a kludge to squash two propositions into one, representing:

The person with ID:1 has NAME:Brian.
AND
The person with ID:1 has a MISSING/INAPPLICABLE/UNKNOWN: age.

Clearly the value in question is actually "age".

I worry that you do not actually want to get your head round this admittedly subtle issue, but are rather just being polemic. Hopefully not, because from a theory point of view this is all there is to it.

> >> By your reasoning, a proposition with an integer in it is no proposition
> >> at
> >> all; a proposition with a string in it is no proposition at all; a
> >> proposition with a widgit in it is no proposition at all.
> >
> > poppycock. Those are all fine propositions.
> >

> >> Also, haven't you heard of the existential quantifier?
> >
> > Not in a proposition of fact, absolutely not.
> >
> > This has been explained many times now. A null _indicates_ that there
> > is a missing/unknown/inapplicable value, it is not a value itself. A
> > proposition with a missing/unknown/inapplicable hole is not a
> > proposition.
> >

> The empty set /indicates/ the absence of a value, yet it /is/ a value; a
> null /indicates/ the absence of a value, yet it /isn't/ a value? Why the
> double standard?

Wrong, wrong, wrong! The empty set is a value by itself, not an indicator of anything. Any set is a value, regardless of its contents. /Please/ dive into some mathematical text books if you still find this genuinely confusing.