Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2006 01:35:01 -0700

David Cressey wrote:

> Paul,

> You either have a systematic way of dealing with missing data, or you deal
> with missing data in an unsystematic way, when the eventuality happens.
> Which is worse?
There is a systematic way of dealing with problem of missing data proposed by Darwen (Mad a typo it was not Mc Goveran). It consists of maintaining a repository that keep track of attempts of inserting missing data into tables then be able to *bring them back* into the table where they were supposed to be inserted, in case they get updated to a known value. I have to admit it creates an extra layer of administration as you have to maintain the repository, but this is nothing compared to work that has to be done when letting NULLS in. It is systematic and most of all insures accurateness. Accepting NULLS certainly does NOT bring systematic way of dealing with missing data. Quite frankly, I do not see HOW adding subjectivity into the system by interpretating results can be in any way *systematic*.