Re: Help - Does DSMS/Data stream fall under "DBMS design and implementation" category?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2006 19:43:09 -0700

Jan Hidders wrote:

> The leading research project in that area is the Stanford Stream Data
> Manager:
>
> http://www-db.stanford.edu/stream/
>
> Especially look in the section on Talks. The ones on "The Stanford Data
> Stream Management System." give a general overview of the issues, and
> the ones on "Models and Issues in Data Stream Systems." tells you more
> about architectural issues. They should give you a good feel for what
> this is all about. For "Models and Issues" there is a corresponding 30
> page paper on the page you might want to read for more details.

Interesting!

I read through the powerpoint slides for "Models and Issues". I was quite surprised to see their model allows stream joins. It wasn't altogether clear what the semantics are, but I suppose the papers make that clear. I'm hard pressed to imagine how that's going to work.

It's also interesting how much stream queries resemble aggregates.

Marshall Received on Wed Oct 04 2006 - 04:43:09 CEST

Original text of this message