Re: B+ tree - help

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 04:42:19 GMT

accpactec_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Ok, I am looking at this question about b+ trees and I just don't get
> it. Here is the question:
>
> A given B+-tree is stored on a disk with blocks containing 512 bytes
> each. The indexed key, data pointer and pointer to a sub-tree occupy 8
> bytes, 6 bytes and 4 bytes, respectively. Assume we use Alternative (2)
> for data entries.
>
> a. Compute the order of the B+-tree.
> b. Calculate the minimum number of entries of data records that a
> 2-level B+-tree (not counting the root) with the given parameters can
>
> I have been looking at wikipedia,
> http://www.semaphorecorp.com/btp/algo.html and various other sites but
> none of them really explain how this thing is done. Can someone please
> help me with this.

What does your textbook say about Alternative 2?

What is the difference between a data pointer and a sub-tree pointer?

How many kinds of blocks will you have in your B+-tree index?

For each kind of block, assume you have N keys:

   How many pointers will you have in the block?    What is the largest N you can fit in the block? Received on Wed Sep 27 2006 - 06:42:19 CEST

Original text of this message