B+ tree - help

From: <accpactec_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2006 20:54:44 -0700

Ok, I am looking at this question about b+ trees and I just don't get it. Here is the question:

A given B+-tree is stored on a disk with blocks containing 512 bytes each. The indexed key, data pointer and pointer to a sub-tree occupy 8 bytes, 6 bytes and 4 bytes, respectively. Assume we use Alternative (2) for data entries.

  1. Compute the order of the B+-tree.
  2. Calculate the minimum number of entries of data records that a 2-level B+-tree (not counting the root) with the given parameters can index.

I have been looking at wikipedia,
http://www.semaphorecorp.com/btp/algo.html and various other sites but none of them really explain how this thing is done. Can someone please help me with this.

Thanks Received on Wed Sep 27 2006 - 05:54:44 CEST

Original text of this message