From: vc <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Sep 2006 03:59:45 -0700

Marshall wrote:
[...]
> Furthermore, you seem to have
> completely misinterpreted Phil's point, which as I understand
> it was that the minimizing property does not indentify a unique
> value, but in some cases a range of values. Your complaint
> about Phil's point seems to be that the minimizing property
> does not identify a unique value. Since that was Phil's point
> in the first place, it is altogether unpersuasive in refuting him.

Please reread what was written earlier. His statement was:

" I'm saying that the property does not always uniquely define a median ("*the* value", emphasis mine), and therefore cannot be used as the definition therefor"

Apparently the implication was that some other definition would allow to compute the median uniquely. If that was not the implication, why jump at the OP and try to ridicule her for using the mentioning property ?

 My point sumply was that neither the minimizing property, nor any other median definition defines the median uniquely in certain cases.