From: <pamelafluente_at_libero.it>
Date: 23 Sep 2006 10:51:06 -0700

Marshall ha scritto:
> > Really?
>
> Notice the smarmy and inflammatory "Really?". Note
> function and called it linear. Troll.
>

> > Just like the fact that the theoretical bound
> > for median computation is 2n.
>
> Note the irrelevant introduction of different, related
and callled it linear. Troll.

> > Oh right that just "theorical", Dor and Zwick, poor guys, only succeed
> > in a very slow implementation of computational complexity equal to
> > 2.95 n.
>
> Note the irrelevant introduction of a completely different
> function,

??

> > D. Dor and U. Zwick. Selecting the median.
> > Proc. Sixth ACM-SIAM Symp.
> > Discrete Algorithms (SODA), pages 28-37, 1995.
>
> Notice the distracting tactic of appeal to authority,

??

Don't get inflammed. We are discussing using tech arguments.

... Anyway, I have an idea to settle this up.

Let's prepare a petition for Oracle Corp., so that they refrain to call "aggregate function" anything different from sum(),count(), min(), max().

They will have to use instead the term "tortoise functions", which was genially suggested by William Hughes for any other thing such as: CountDistinct(), AVG(), MEDIAN(), VAR(), ... I suggest now to work on an agreeable definition of the tortoise functions.

> Also: man.

PS
In the meantime I will try to convince the shareholders about this news, but will not be easy ...

Larry E. ;)