From: <pamelafluente_at_libero.it>
Date: 23 Sep 2006 09:54:55 -0700

Marshall ha scritto:

Hi Marshall :)

> Phil Carmody wrote:
> > pamelafluente_at_libero.it writes:
> > > the Median is the value which minimize the sum of absolute differences
> > >
> > > ie. sum | xi - c | is minimum for c = MEDIAN()
> >
> > If I were Bob Silverman, you'd get one heck of a flaming for
> > posting something so obviously somewhere in between unintelligible
> > and meaningless (including both endpoints) to sci.math.
>
> Everyone,
>
> 1) Notice that everything the least bit technical that Pamela
> comes up with has a corresponding wikipedia entry. Notice
> how in fact she doesn't even really exhibit mastery of the
> material she points to, but merely manages to quote it in
> a manner that approximates appropriate context. She
> is wikipedalling at a furious rate.

It looks like the tech arguments we agreed to stick to are over.

It says all.

You are also insulting the mathematicians of this group since 2 of my references (about the fact the mean minimizes the average absolute deviation just like the mean minimizes the square absolute deviation) were to the sci.math group.

Further, for symmetric distributions they are coincident. And you are still saying the Median is not an aggregate function ?

[ps. 1. what is the diffrence between "Notice" and "Note" ?

      2. That neologism "wikipedalling" is remarkable.
          It's similar to "google around". Wikipedia should be
flattered...]

> 4) Pamela is a troll.

If this reassures you. Ok.

> 2) Note how she misunderstands many of the things people
> say, and when you call her on it, she doesn't cop to it, or
> try to figure out where she went wrong, but only shifts
> slighty over and tries another inflammatory approach.

It's inflammatory to you only. I dont' see others get inflammed.

> 3) She is doing this on purpose.

Frankly, I have better things to do than get you inflammed.

> 5) "Pamela" is a man.

Then we could get married, then ;)

> Marshall

we have a joke in Italy:

You are the man
[not your sister]

:)) dont' get inflammed :)

-P Received on Sat Sep 23 2006 - 11:54:55 CDT