Re: 3 value logic. Why is SQL so special?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:19:43 GMT

peter koch wrote:

> Marshall skrev:
>

>> Bob Badour wrote:
>>> Can we agree that the algebra of nullable<boolean> is not boolean
>>> algebra and is not 2-valued logic?

>> Interesting point. On the face of it, any 3VL is not a boolean algebra
>> because 3 is not a power of two, and all boolean algebras have
>> a power of two elements. I've long been appreciative of the fact
>> that, for example, the truth table for AND is 9 cells in 3VL instead
>> of four for 2VL. And the fact that while there are only 16 distinct
>> binary functions in 2VL, but, uh, crap. What's that number again?
>> Oh, yeah: 19683 distinct binary functions in 3VL.[1] So the complexity
>> goes up a *lot.*
>
> Right. I presume you also have problems multiplying two three-digit
> decimal numbers?

Marshall, I believe this is not a question that can be argued on its merits, of which to a sensible person there are none. It is futile to confront the segment who value great complexity, who likely believe submarines will someday swim, whose attitude is basically anti-humanist and who present a constantly moving target. Only time can dissolve the three-valued concoction. When that happens it will be replaced by some other silliness. For consolation, I recommend the book "Voltaire's Bastards" by John Ralston Saul.

p Received on Fri Sep 22 2006 - 15:19:43 CEST

Original text of this message