PLAN-X 2007: Call for Papers and Demos (Deadline Extended) (Nice, Jan 07)

From: Torsten Grust <grust_at_in.tum.de>
Date: 21 Sep 2006 10:35:22 -0400

            Third Call for Papers and Software Demonstrations

                           P L A N - X   2 0 0 7
                 Programming Language Techniques for XML

             An ACM SIGPLAN Workshop colocated with POPL 2007

                     Nice, France -- January 20, 2007

                       http://www.plan-x-2007.org/

         || The submission deadline for PLAN-X 2007 has been   ||
         || postponed by a few days.  New submission deadline: ||
         ||        Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 5 PM (PDT)       ||

  • PLAN-X 2007 Aim and Scope

  The XML data model and its associated languages add interesting twists   to programming language practice as well as theory. Just like its   four predecessors, the PLAN-X 2007 workshop turns the spotlight on how   programming languages can embrace, for example, tree-shaped XML data   structures, regular expression types extracted from schema   descriptions, very small or large XML instances, queries against XML   data, and XML transformations. XML reaches deep into all aspects of   language design, type systems, compilers, as well as runtimes and   PLAN-X 2007 is THE forum to present and discuss novel research work in   this area.

  We invite contributions -- papers as well as software demonstrations

  • from members of the programming language, database, theory, and document processing communities and look forward to a workshop in which this diversity of contributions and attendees leads to lively discussion and a fun event.

  If you are architecting a software system that fuses programming   language and XML technology in interesting and innovative ways, please   submit a software demonstration proposal to PLAN-X 2007. The workshop   program will feature a special demo session. A two-page description of   the accepted software demonstrations will be included in the   proceedings.

  PLAN-X 2007 will be held in cooperation with and just after POPL 2007,   the 34th ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Programming   Languages in the Plaza Hotel in Nice, France, on Januar 20, 2007.

  • PLAN-X 2007 Topics of Interest

  Topics of interest include the following (though interesting   and/or innovative papers on all aspects of programming languages for   XML are welcome):

  • Design of programming and query languages for XML
  • Programming in the XML data model itself (e.g., extending XQuery into a full-fledged programming language)
  • Formal accounts of XML and its processors (based on logic, automata, variants of lambda calculus, etc.)
  • Compilers and interpreters for XML-aware languages and optimization techniques
  • Type systems, schema languages, and other constraints (e.g., keys) for tree-shaped data
  • Tree automata and transducers
  • Languages and systems that can cope with XML fragments (messages) or very large XML instances (beyond main-memory size)
  • Programming language glue between browsers, web services, and databases
  • Pioneering applications of XML-aware language technology
    • Proceedings

  Accepted submissions will be collected to form the informal PLAN-X   2007 proceedings, to be indexed on Michael Ley's DBLP site and   distributed at the workshop. The material may thus be published   elsewhere at a later date.

  • Paper Format and Submission
      The web-based paper submission site for PLAN-X 2007 is open!
      Submit at URL

               http://www.easychair.org/PLANX2007/

      (Please register as a New User to obtain a login and
      password for the submission site.)

  PLAN-X 2007 calls for contributions relevant to the open list of   topics sketched above. We explicitly welcome reports on innovative,   off-beat, and ''early stage'' approaches as long as the submission   reports on original work not published or submitted elsewhere.

  • Please format your papers according to the ACM guidelines and SIG proceedings templates available at

        http://www.acm.org/sigs/pubs/proceed/template.html

    The mandatory submission file format is PDF.

  • Regular papers should not exceed 10 pages in length including references and appendices, but shorter abstracts (of, e.g., 2000 words) often suffice and are acceptable as well.
  • Software demonstration proposals are limited to 2 pages and should include a sketch of the methods you employ as well as a description of what exactly will be demoed. Please submit your demonstration proposal via the regular paper submission site and add "(Demo)" to your submission's title.
    • Important Dates
  • Paper submission (extended): Tue, Oct 10, 2006, 5 PM (PDT)
  • Notification of acceptance: Sat, Nov 25, 2006
  • Camera-ready copy due: Sun, Dec 17, 2006
  • Workshop: Sat, Jan 20, 2007
    • PLAN-X 2007 Program Committee
  • Michael Benedikt (Lucent, USA)
  • Daniela Florescu (Oracle, USA)
  • Alain Frisch (INRIA Roquencourt, France)
  • Giorgio Ghelli, Chair (U Pisa, Italy)
  • Haruo Hosoya (U Tokyo, Japan)
  • Anders Moeller (U Aarhus, Denmark)
  • Mukund Raghavachari (IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA)
  • Alan Schmitt (INRIA Rhone-Alpes, France)
  • Sophie Tison (U Lille, France)
  • Philip Wadler (U Edinburgh, UK)
    • PLAN-X 2007 Workshop Chairs
  • General Chair - Program Chair
    Torsten Grust                 Giorgio Ghelli
    TU Muenchen                   U Pisa
    Munich, Germany               Pisa, Italy
    grust_at_in.tum.de               ghelli_at_di.unipi.it