Re: Columns without names

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 19 Sep 2006 12:50:22 -0700

Jan Hidders wrote:
> JOG wrote:
> >
> > Imagine, f'rinstance, I have a data collection in which I have
> > propositions of dogs' names & ages and owners' names & ages. Both sets
> > of propositions would traditionally be represented as (name:x, age:y),
> > but yet are housed in separate relations to form my manipulable
> > datatbase. How exactly has this been determined by the set intension?
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand your question becuase the answer is trivial:
> they are modelled as the same relation if and only if the set intension
> is the same. Of course, formally defining when two set intensions are
> the same is hard or even impossible.
>
> -- Jan Hidders

I've been toying with viewing a database as a set of assertions, S, which is split into relvars, defined as: R = { x E S : .... }. From that viewpoint, I'm interested in what distinguishes assertions about dogs names and owners names, so that the appropriate set 'collects' them. If this is a fruitless exercise I'm more than happy to find that out from yourself Jan. Received on Tue Sep 19 2006 - 21:50:22 CEST

Original text of this message