Re: Ternary Relationship cardinality

From: <miklesw_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2006 01:03:22 -0700

I know what cardinality is... and I know how to implement it

My problem is with the notation for a particular Ternary relationship.

(Supertype) [Parent]------[0..*]----- <Breeding> ----[1..1]--------[Child](subtype)

The prob is when I use the N:1 notation..my first reaction would be to do something like this:

(Supertype) [Parent]------1-----
<Breeding>-----M-------[Child](subtype)

However that doesn't make sense since ParentA can be related to Many ParentB's and viceversa. (don't think of the normal parent-child scenario.. it's a game and the relationship is the actual act of breeding)

PS I'm using Chen notation
PS2. After a day at work followed by 2 hours of transaction schedules .. I really couldn't give a damn about spelling&grammar..