Re: 3 value logic. Why is SQL so special?

From: Chris Lim <blackcap80_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Sep 2006 05:08:03 -0700

Cimode wrote:
> And many other information...
> This is a purely pedagogical case (far from being complete) to
> demonstrate that it is perfectly possible to build some logical design
> in minutes (took me 20 of them) WITHOUT using NULLS...while sticking to
> the God Damn Real World (lazyness) excuse...

In a database without NULLs, would you have to do LEFT OUTER JOINs in all queries where you want all rows from your 'main' table returned, regardless of whether they have the optional attributes or not? Say, for example, all flights, with or without an actual departure time. And if so, how do the 'missing' attributes get returned from these queries, if NULLs are not allowed?

Chris Received on Sat Sep 16 2006 - 14:08:03 CEST

Original text of this message