Re: Nested structures

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:27:03 GMT

Rob wrote:

> Where can I find this paper?
>
> dawn wrote:
>

>>Some, but not all, of you will find this new IDC paper entitled
>>"Because Not All Data is Flat: IBM's U2 Extended Relational DBMSs" to
>>be of interest.
>>
>>Other than the fact that the term "flat" is used, which I know can be
>>inflammatory in this NG, are there other logical responses?
>>
>>I think the term "embedded" is misleading, given the number of
>>companies that use these DBMS's for their enterprise systems. But I do
>>understand that IBM has to be careful to position each of their
>>offerings somewhat differently.
>>
>>The information about the embedded market growing faster than the
>>relational market is quite interesting. Perhaps there is and should be
>>a different theory related to those DBMS's currently called "embedded"?

Non-relational products are nothing new for IBM. They have traditionally helped IBM sell mainframes.

There are already lots of embedded SQL dbmses. It should come as no surprise that a proper superset is growing faster than its proper subset--it would take some doing to grow slower. Yawn. Received on Fri Sep 15 2006 - 18:27:03 CEST

Original text of this message