Re: Phd guy teaches the Data Mining

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:34:43 +0100

"Faisal" <faisalrafeeq_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157681611.400334.139850_at_b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi
>
> Do you want to learn data mining from a Phd guy
> http://database- guru.com/ dm_intro. php
> http://database- guru.com/ dm_overview. php
> http://database- guru.com/ dm_understanding .php

The offer of learning at the feet of a "Phd guy" seemed too good to pass up, so I immediately consulted this site for an explication of the 4th and 5th normal forms. (IMO, this is an excellent spot-check of any instructional material because 4/5NF are very simple and intuitive and bad instructors make such an appalling hash of bringing out what is implicit in them.)

Sadly, the gibberish was not only opaque, but gibberish too. I leave you with just one quote: "Most experts agree that tables that are in the 4NF are also in 5NF except for "pathological" cases." So the existence of a business rule is a kind of pathology? Interesting. You can see how there would be a "Phd" waiting for anyone who could successfully defend that idea!

Roy Received on Fri Sep 08 2006 - 10:34:43 CEST

Original text of this message