Re: Terminology question

From: <pamelafluente_at_libero.it>
Date: 4 Sep 2006 01:35:14 -0700

Hi Jonathan, thanks for replying.

Yes "connection" is usually understood fine. Since the user can physically see the "object" (contained in a file), he/she immediately realizes it is the "stuff" necessary to get connected again to the dbms.

The o3 is more difficult. 'process' could be an option. Actually what I wanted to stress is the fact that that object represents "potentially" some data. That's why I though of "datasource". But this term seems to be misleading. I was also thinking about "extraction rule", but that sound more like pure SQL code, independent of the database. I want something that represent: Database + Connection Info+Extraction Rule.

Something simple, ideally one word, easily understood by everyone (in the dbms world).

-P